Summer is a great time to get out and play with your dog, but it's also important to keep them healthy! In this blog, we give 5 grooming tips to make sure your dog stays as comfortable, clean, and happy during the summer months,
1. Keep your dog's paws protected and pad hair short. Dogs love to run around in the sand and water, but their paw pads can get scratched or burned if they get too much sun exposure. Help keep them safe by trimming nails regularly, using shoes/booties when necessary, and keeping their pad hair short for better paw care.
2. Bathe your dog with a shampoo that repels fleas and ticks. Ticks especially tend to thrive during the summer months so it's best to have a pest repellant shampoo like our natural lemongrass dog shampoo. Also, don't over bathe your dog- Bathing too frequently can irritate your pup’s skin, as it strips the coat of its natural oils and dries out the skin.
3. Clean your dog’s ears (especially if your dog loves swimming!) Your dog loves swimming in ponds, lakes, and rivers. Unfortunately, the bacteria found in those natural water resources love your dog right back. Make sure to rinse off your dog after swimming with a quick-drying microfiber towel and clean his ears with a quality dog-ear cleaner to prevent bacterial infections.
4. Maintain your dog's coat by brushing regularly. You should brush your dog regularly, at least once a week because it will keep them free from skin problems caused by knots and tangles. Brushing removes all the dead hair which is trapped in the undercoat and it also distributes the natural oils throughout their coats, giving them a beautiful shine.
5. Be aware of seasonal allergies. Many dogs are prone to seasonal allergies. If your pup struggles with itchy skin or other allergy-related skin issues such as hot spots, try out Oatmeal Anti-Itch Dog Spray when brushing and Oatmeal Dog Shampoo Bar for bath time. If you need tips to manage your dog's seasonal allergies, check out this blog.
Grooming your dog doesn't have to be hard, but it can also be more time consuming than you think (block out some time in your schedule). We hope these summer dog grooming tips help to keep your dog comfortable, clean, and happy all season long!